If you want to organize your warehouse with a pallet racking system, you have several options to choose from. Depending on the products you need to store, certain systems are better than others. For inventory that includes long, bulky or awkwardly shaped items, a cantilever system may be the best fit.
What Is Cantilever Racking?
Cantilever racking is designed to store long and bulky materials. It consists of a solid base with vertical beams that support straight arms. The arms can be adjusted to different heights off the ground so you can store various sizes and amounts of products at any given time. Cantilever racking also includes braces that go between the vertical beams to stabilize the rack laterally for extra support. With this sturdy design, cantilever racks support longer materials that other variations of racking cannot.
Cantilever racking is made from heavy-duty materials for a sturdy, reliable storage solution. They are available in many different sizes, and they can be configured for single-sided or double-sided storage.
Types of Cantilever Racking
There are two types of cantilever racking:
- Roll-formed cantilever rack: These racks are made from heavy-gauge, roll-formed steel to form high-capacity, multilevel structures. Their components include bases, columns, arms, braces and pins. Roll-formed cantilever racking systems are used to store various products with easy placement and removal capabilities.
- Structural cantilever rack: These racks are made with structural steel I-beams. They have arms connected to columns with a solid, four-bolt attachment to support medium to heavy-duty loads.
What Is Cantilever Racking Used for?
Cantilever racking is most commonly used for storing oversized items. They provide the stability needed to keep large items safely out of the way while still giving forklifts easy access to your materials. Products typically stored in cantilever racking systems include:
- Steel sheets
What Are the Pros and Cons of Cantilever Racking Systems?
Cantilever racking systems offer many unique benefits, especially for longer, heavier products, as well as a few cons to consider.
- Ideal for sorting non-uniform, long products such as building materials
- Adjustable arms
- Compatible with standard forklifts
- Moves inventory off the ground to free up floor space
- Highly versatile and can be used with other racking systems
- Higher price point
- Not ideal for pallet storage
- May require a large aisle and/or special lift for longer products
Is a Cantilever Racking System Right for My Warehouse?
If you need to stack and store long, oddly shaped products, a cantilever racking system is an excellent choice. With no vertical obstructions and a durable design, cantilever racking systems allow you to easily load and unload your oversized items while saving time, space and money.
You can also use cantilever racking systems to store average-size items, but it may not be the best use of space. If only some of your inventory consists of extra-long items, you can combine cantilever racking with other types of racking systems for a customized solution.
If you are unsure whether a cantilever racking system is right for your warehouse, get in touch with us. Our experts can help you find the perfect solution for your unique requirements.
Why Buy From Arnold Machinery Company?
At Arnold Machinery Company, we sell high-quality material handling equipment. Our priority is making sure we provide you with the very best products and services that will exceed your expectations. With our Silver Service® Guarantee, you can rest assured that we will do everything in our power to ensure your satisfaction.
Learn more about what we have to offer by contacting us online or calling 888-214-1847 to get a quote and have any questions answered. If you live in the western United States, you can also stop by one of our store locations to see our products and meet our friendly staff.