Proper pallet racking is essential for effective warehouse operations. Based on your specific application, different pallet racking systems can help you store and retrieve your products more efficiently. If you are looking for a secure, space-saving option that is also easily accessible, a selective pallet racking system may be the best choice for your needs.
What Is Selective Pallet Racking?
Selective pallet racking is the most common and well known type of racking. It consists of heavy-duty shelves for pallet storage that are supported by vertical legs and horizontal beams. Most selective pallet racks use wire decks to place pallets on. You can also use pallet supports and crossbars for extra support. Selective racking was given its name due to users’ ability to select any pallet from the racking without moving other pallets.
Selective pallet racks only go one pallet deep. It is common to place one rack in a single row, but installing two racks back-to-back is ideal for companies that carry a greater variety of products. Selective racking uses a first in/first out (FIFO) approach, meaning the items stored first are also the first removed. This approach keeps your processes efficient and your products fresh. Although you are limited to one pallet position, you have direct access to more units.
What Are Selective Pallet Racking Systems Used for?
Selective pallet racking is a simple, efficient storage system, which makes it an excellent choice for a wide range of industries and applications, including:
- Hand picking
- Carton flow
- Pallet storage
- Food and beverage applications
Pros and Cons of Selective Pallet Racks
Your products are most accessible in a selective pallet racking system, so it works well when you need immediate access to any pallet. But selective pallet racking may not be the best choice for long-term storage.
- Access to all pallets
- Uses warehouse storage height
- Compatible with standard forklifts
- One pallet deep on density
- Large amount of aisle space
Is Selective Pallet Racking Right for My Warehouse?
Selective pallet racking systems are easy to use and maintain. If any of the following factors affect your warehouse, a selective pallet racking system can help you save time and money:
- Cold storage: Freezers and coolers are expensive. By using selective pallet racking for your cold storage needs, you can store more products for the best use of your space. The system also helps you minimize the length of time spent with the freezer open to retrieve goods, as operators can access the exact pallet they need.
- Date-sensitive products: If you store products with an expiration date, selective pallet racking gives you immediate access to your items, so there is less risk of them going bad. This is especially useful for perishable foods, medicines and any other time-sensitive goods.
- Quick turnarounds: A selective pallet racking system is designed with efficiency in mind. With this system, multiple forklifts can access the same aisle simultaneously, as selective racking systems use vertical space to allow for wider aisles. This means you can move more inventory in and out of your warehouse more quickly for faster turnaround times.
Buy Your Selective Pallet Racking From Arnold Machinery Company
Arnold Machinery Company is a leading distributor of new and used material handling equipment. We carry the best products on the market to help your operations run smoothly and successfully. We also offer superior customer service to ensure your complete satisfaction. All of our products come with our Silver Service® guarantee, so you know we will do whatever it takes to make sure you are happy with the services we provide.
Contact us if you have any questions or would like a free quote. You can also visit us in person at one of our locations in the western United States. Count on us to help you find the right material handling solutions for your unique requirements.